by the Rev. Nancy Christensen, Mission Director, ELCA Southeastern Synod
“Let’s face it: the synod e-news is largely irrelevant. The items posted are mostly ‘fluff,’ and no one reads it anyway.”
This statement was made by a young adult at a recent synod gathering, and my immediate response was, “Yikes.” Is this how people really feel about the communications they receive from our synod office? Are the subscribers to this network wishing for more substance, or for different kinds of information? Are they pushing the “delete” button, rather than reading what is posted? Are blogs (like the one I’m writing now) just a waste of everyone’s time?
It’s easy to feel defensive, as one of the people who regularly provide news and information to these weekly issues. I think I can speak for the whole staff when I say we try hard to use this vehicle to communicate clearly, and often, about those items that we hope are relevant to folks. We also seek out information from countless people throughout the synod, inviting congregations to send material that can be shared, and asking individuals and agencies to contribute items as well.
We do not have a professional marketing and communications department, but we do our best, and we would love to have more contributors! So, it’s easy to feel defensive.
But, I’ve decided to let down my defenses to think about what else might have been behind this statement that would be helpful for me, and for all of us to hear. And, I’ll start with the obvious: the speaker was a young adult.
I am part of the baby boom generation, with four “20-somethings” in my own family. I can’t pretend to completely understand a young adult mindset, and I would not want to make too many generalizations about any section of the population, anyway. But I do notice from the few young adults that reside around me that there is apathy, cynicism, and suspicion about most things “religious.” It’s not a lack of interest in spiritual practice – I sense they all long for real depth and meaning in their lives, and even seek it out – but, rather, it’s a disconnect with the institution of the church that feels “largely irrelevant” to them.
Okay, so that’s no real surprise, right? I remember feeling the same way when I was younger, and I suspect we’ve all gone through this at one time or another. But, I’m not willing to simply dismiss these sentiments as being a “phase” of young adulthood. Mission developers who are intentionally engaging with their communities are reporting that more and more people, of many ages, are expressing this same feeling – that the church doesn’t really matter, to them, or to the world.
So, how can we address these issues and take these perceptions seriously? It begins, I think, with a willingness to let go of some things (even though “we’ve always done it that way”) and to genuinely discern God’s vision, and God’s mission for our church in this time, and in the particular contexts of our lives. It begins with intentionally including new voices in our conversations about ministry: inviting young adults to participate in worship planning, for example, or listening to the real needs of our neighborhoods so that we might reflect those needs in our programs and services, or empowering new leaders to serve and to make decisions in new ways. It begins when we offer authentic opportunities for the development of true discipleship, going deeper than we’ve ever gone before.
It’s not easy, but it’s important work that asks us to be open, inclusive, and faithful as people of God. We can’t allow ourselves to be defensive and dismissive; we must be genuine and realistic about who we are called to be, and to become.
And, as far as our e-news is concerned… well, we have to be constantly challenging ourselves in that, too, and to be making improvements as we go forward. We must always seek to communicate as effectively as possible, and to evaluate both the style and the content for its relevance to all.
I can tell you without any hesitation that anyone who wants to help or who has material to share will be WELCOMED! Please don’t hesitate to contribute your gifts, and to make your voice heard… resist the urge to push “delete” and opt, instead, to work for positive results!
Thursday, September 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I read the synod e-news from top to bottom and I don't know which pieces would be considered "fluff"; but, admittedly, I am far from being "20-something." What I do know, however, is that no one strives to be irrelevant. If we are a readership who simply hits delete, then we have in effect rendered ourselves to irrelevance.
ReplyDeleteAs a parent of a "20-something" I also know our young adults step up and step out when it comes to issues of inclusivity in their communities; i.e., school, work, social, etc. Why not in the faith community? Why not come together to affect change. Not enough peers in your congregation? Reach out to other congregations; reach out to your conference; reach out to your synod. Why not become contibutors to the synod e-news?