Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Life is Good…Sort of

by the Rev. Darrel Peterson
Assistant to the Bishop
ELCA Southeastern Synod

The Christmas letter said, “Life is Good,” and I resonated with the thought. There is so much in my life that is good. There are so many people and things to be thankful for. I live in the promises of our gracious and merciful God. Certainly there are issues, but I deal with them. Life is indeed, good! Let’s lift our glasses of champagne and toast the New Year! BUT…

There’s always the “but.” A big part of the goodness in life for the Christian (and others of faith and good will) is that justice and peace become realities for all of God’s people. The words from Mary’s Song of Praise in Luke 1 resonate out of our Advent and Christmas readings. “He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly, he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty.”

I could easily spend the rest of this blog enumerating the many concerns that daily look us in the face, as well as the many our lifestyle allows us to compartmentalize and ignore. The issues seem endless, and so many in authority appear to be “chasing windmills.” Life ceases to be good when we take seriously the issues.

I remember a wonderful great aunt who lived in our home when I was growing up. Listening to the news of the day, she usually commented, “We certainly live in dangerous times.” I recall tiring of her pessimism. Perhaps my advancing years and the aging of my peers is leading to similar pessimism.

But, I see the widening gap between the rich and the poor. I see the unwelcoming spirit toward immigrants, refugees and those “different.” I see the ignoring of the evident environmental issues. I see the ever present narcissism. I see the narrowing world views.

The faithful response in the New Year is to be ever purposeful about planting and instilling hope. When Martin Luther was asked what he would do today if the world were to end tomorrow, he responded that he would plant a tree. I see young families being vigilant about toxins in foods. I see my grandchildren forging ahead with learning and exploration. Many faithful people are willing to study and to speak the truth of their research and convictions.

I worry that the aging of our church membership is resulting in a church that is “set in its ways” and vulnerable to shallow answers. I am proud of our ELCA moving forward in a spirit of hope. In his article in the November LUTHERAN, Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson quoted Pope John XXIII in his end of the day prayer, “Lord, this is your church, not mine. I am tired. Good Night.”

It is the Lord’s church. Thanks be to God! As we raise our glasses to toast the New Year, let us live in the hope of the Word becoming flesh and living among us. And let us think globally and act locally in all that we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment