A few weeks ago Pastor Delmer Chilton’s blog entry was a wonderful profile of a good stewardship “how to” book. I recommend that to your reading, not that I have read it, but because I respect Delmer’s recommendations. But let me tell you about another new “how to” stewardship book.
For about 7 years I served the Southeastern Synod and the ELCA in the area of stewardship. During those years I found that what I had learned in many years of ministry was true; unless the leadership, especially the pastoral leadership, catches the spirit of Christian stewardship in a personal way the program, whatever it is, will have trouble. I could tell you a number of “horror” stories about that happening in congregations I served.
At our 2007 Churchwide Assembly, the ELCA established a Blue Ribbon Committee on Mission Funding. This was in response to the declining support of the mission of our ELCA. Part of the many wonderful things that committee recommended was to look at the forming of stewardship leaders through theological education and the first call process. This task was turned over to the Stewardship of Life Institute which is at the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg and supports stewardship education in all of the seminaries. One of the outcomes of that was the development of a document called “Competencies in a Well-formed Stewardship Leader. “ This document was developed and influenced by some of the great teachers of stewardship in our church.
The competencies developed are:
1) Trust’s God’s abundance,
2) Grounds oneself in biblical and theological principles,
3) Holds a holistic perspective,
4) Perceives connectedness,
5) Engages and critiques culture, and
6) Embraces financial heath as an expression of faith.
These are what are needed for good Christian stewardship in our church and congregations. These six competences are the six chapters in a booklet produced by the LTSS/Region 9 Council for Stewardship Education. The authors are from all over the country and with various backgrounds. All, however, are leaders in the practice of Christian stewardship. The booklet is called How Much is Enough: A Deeper Look at Stewardship in an Age of Abundance. It recommended by me the whole Stewardship Council. It is excellent not only for personal reading and study, but would also be excellent for study by the Church Council, Stewardship Committee and/or an adult class. The production of this booklet was partially funded by the Stewardship of Life Institute and therefore only costs $10. Copies may be secured from the Region 9, 4201 N. Main St. Columbia, SC. 29203. Phone: (803) 361-1430
No comments:
Post a Comment